Thursday, November 3, 2011

out of my mind

I am not out of my mind, but this is the title of a great book I just finished reading and wanted to share. Every year, my school graciously allows me to order two sets of books that have been awarded as favorites among middle school-aged children. They are called Sunshine State Young Readers books. I picked this one up to read during free reading time (one of the BEST parts of my job) and immediately fell in love with the main character, Melody. Here is a description of the book from the jacket:

Eleven-year-old Melody has a photgraphic memory. Her head is like a video camera that is always recording. Always. And there's no delete button. She's the smartest kid in her whole school-but NO ONE knows it. Most people-her teachers and doctors included-don't think she's capable of learning, and up until recently her school days have consisted of listening to the same preschool-level alphabet lessons again and again and again. If only she could speak up, if only she could tell people what she thinks and knows...but she can't, because Melody can't talk. She can't walk. She can't write.
Being stuck inside her head is making Melody go out of her mind-that is, until she discovers something that will allow her to speak for the first time ever. At last Melody has a voice...but not everyone around her is ready to hear it.

The storyline reminds me so much of my nephew, Caleb. He was born with so many challenges. Being able to speak is one of them. He is slowly learning some sign language, but I know it has to be frustrating for him to not be able to communicate like his family and classmates. This is a quick read, so if you're looking for some new material, consider this book.

P.S. Our DSL is out of commission. I have TONS of pictures to share of Ben. I hope to be able to share those soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment